In June 2013, STC will have an opportunity to gain worldwide recognition for technical communication as a profession and for STC as an organization by launching a Technical Communication Massive Open Online Course (MOOC).
Subject area experts and speakers are already lined up, but moderators are needed to facilitate study groups, and peer evaluators are needed for learning activities. By volunteering, you can help make this global venture a success for both students and STC while enhancing your job portfolio and gaining recognition for your SIG.
Course objectives are listed below. After successfully completing this MOOC, participants will be able to do the following:
- Define technical communication
- Understand the function of technical communication in industry and academia
- Identify the elements of effective technical communication
- Develop basic core technical communication skills
- Establish methods for integrating effective practices into current and future work
- Seek out professional opportunities as a technical communicator
- Recognize the value of STC and other related professional organizations
- Further explore related technical communication research and apply effective practices
Subject area experts and speakers will be announced soon. Resources will be provided to guide moderators and evaluators, and meetings will be held for the volunteer team leading up to, and during, the MOOC.
Enrollment: Open to all—Worldwide
Length: Five weeks
Format: Includes an open Web presence, scheduled synchronous sessions (and
recordings), discussion areas, facilitated study groups, social media components, guided activities, and aggregated content from participant blogs, twitter posts, etc.
If you are willing to volunteer or have any questions, please contact Lloyd Tucker (STC Deputy Executive Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
A live web seminar in mid-April will provide more details.